Entries in clothing (2)
By Lauren Charlip
Here on the East Coast we’re slogging through the first big snow of the season. When the mercury hovers this low, it can get pretty chilly in the studio. This has us thinking about what kind of cozy, moveable extra layer we’d like to be wearing. We can say this much: we don’t want to sacrifice style. We’ve always loved the look of the classic ballet wrap top, and it turns out our favorite workout wear lines do, too. Several of them have come out with chic new versions this year. They’re elegant alternatives to a hoodie and versatile pieces that you can easily wear out of the studio and keep on for the rest of the day.
We’ve rounded up our favorite updates on this dancewear classic, perfect for taking the chill off your workout. Click through to see five of our top picks. And don’t forget to wrap up, because baby, it’s cold outside!
Our semiregular rundown of Pilates news from around the Web. Enjoy!
- Been searching for a place where you can do Pilates and fly with the greatest of ease? Look no further than Cirque School L.A., which blends Pilates with the circus arts, and grew from founder Aloysia Gavre’s desire “to give anybody with any body the opportunity to ‘hang by their knees,’ even if it’s just once, and create a hybrid of fitness programming.” Read Digital City’s interview with Gavre.
- More 2010 fitness trend forecasting, this time from the American Council on Exercise. No direct mention of Pilates, but functional fitness and credentialing both get a nod.
- The hottest new Pilates prop: a baby! If you’ve ever wondered how mommy and baby Pilates classes work, check out this video news clip, aptly headlined “NBA star’s wife uses baby to exercise,” from MSNBC’s The Grio.
- Longtime fitness instructor Andrea Metcalf introduced Live-alates, simple Pilates-inspired moves for better living, on Oprah.com.
- Pilates trainer Meleah Rubio, a former cheerleader, works with University of Texas football players two to three times her size, and says they’ve really warmed up to Pilates. “It’s made them more aware of their body and their breathing. And injury prevention has been huge,” she tells News 8 Austin in this segment. Hook ‘em, Horns!
- Real Pilates maven Alycea Ungaro discussed tailoring workouts to body types with local cable network New York One.
- Soap opera star Susan Lucci has partnered with Fila to launch a Pilates apparel line for the Home Shopping Network. Lucci launched her Malibu Pilates System on the channel last year.
- Karena Lineback and her studio Pilates Teck got props for their homemade contribution to the Santa Clarita, California, holiday Festival of Trees, and raised cash for the local Boys and Girls Club to boot. Kudos!